Friday, February 19, 2010

What is Cacirema?

Cacirema is inspired by the term, Nacirema. Nacirema has been used by the social scientists to describe the behavors and cultures of the North American countries. Cacirema is a fictional story of a country called Cacirema which locates somewhere in North America to either side of the ocean. It could be located middle of the Atlantic Ocean like the legend of Atlantis. Or, it could be located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean because of its influence from the Asians.

It is also inspired by the books like 1984and Animal Farm by George Orwell. Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and the revised edition. Sir. Thomas More's Utopia is also credited here. It is the classical book necessary to talk about another fictional society.

I choose the name Cacirema to includes several meanings. First, the name shows that is like how Nacirema is used by people interested in sociology or anthropology or anything in social science field. I studied that field quite a lot in my life, so the new term might be appropriate to explain a similar behavior and culture in a specific fictional country. Second, the name sounds much like many fictional names of the countries. If it is located in the Middle East or Europe, I cold choose -stan or -nia ending name for the country. Because the name is familiar, readers can feel easy to get into the fictional world. Fourth, the term, Cacirema, is rare. Currently, only five search results are available in Google. Hopefully, using the word does not make companies or organization with the name. I clam the name of this day Feb 19, 2010, as my fictional country name. If anyone else created a company later and get problem with the name because of my storytelling, it is not my fault. Fifth, the first letter C represents either Communism or Chinese culture or Military Industrial "C"omplex. Sometimes conspiracy theorists often use these terms in the news. My use of these real terms are nothing more than of those used in the fictional books. I use the term to make the fiction exciting enough like Tom Clancy's books.

My goal is to develop a short stories about the fictional country, Cacirema. This is an experiment to share my knowledge and creativity on the new phenomenon in near future. If I get enough stories within this blog, I probably publish it in digital format